Tourism

DEWETSDORP

History and Architecture

The town is part of the Battlefields Route. One attraction is the British War Graves and Monument. The British Monument and War Graves lie on a hill at the entrance of the town from Bloemfontein and was erected in honour of the British soldiers who died during the Anglo Boer war. The Centenary Festival Monument in front of the town hall was erected in 1938 to commemorate the centenary of the Great Trek. The Twins Memorial was erected in the grounds of the Dutch Reformed Church in honour of a set of twins who both lost their lives during the Anglo-Boer War. There are also war graves of British soldiers in the English cemetery. The Morojaneng Ethopian church has its own unique architecture and old history.

Adventure and Sport

The town has a beautiful 9-hole golf course.  Dewetsdorp is the home of the OSRAM Total Car rally which is held annually in August. There are various hunting farms in the district. The Red Hill Hiking Trail is also a popular tourist attractions.

WEPENER

The district of Wepener was therefore the scene of many battles, raids and skirmishes during the early 19th century. Many graves, mostly without identification, still exist as reminders of the events in the valley of Jammersbergspruit during this stormy period.

Adventure and Sport

The Caledon Nature Reserve is about 15Km south of Wepener on the R701. It covers an area of 2300Ha. The reserve can be contacted on telephone +27 051 583 1920.The Caledon River flows through the reserve, and the Welbedacht Dam is located in the sourthern region of the reserve. Its 2 300 ha has an almost tangible atmosphere of peace and tranquility. Apart from the splendid views and game such as black wildebeest, blesbok, springbok and zebra, the reserve is notable for its beautiful mountain vegetation. The fish eagle reigns supreme here and nearly 200 species of bird have been recorded, a large number of which are water birds.

Two floating bush camps serve as overnight spots for hikers and canoeists. The one camp is, however, only accessible by four-wheel-drive vehicles. Each camp can accommodate 16 people on four floating decks. On the shore there is a lapa with barbecue facilities, benches and tables and ablution facilities. Fishing is the main attraction. The river supports barbel, mudfish, yellowfish and carp. Record carp is regularly caught here. Canoeists and hikers are welcome.

4×4 Enthusiasts are regular visitors to the region. The 4×4 trail in the area are organized from the Lord Frasers Lodge, 4×4 Getaways to Lesotho (Malealea Lodge) are easily be arranged. There are several hiking trails in town, such as those in the Caledon Nature Reserve.

Archaeology and Palaeontology

San Rock art can be viewed on Ventershoek Farm.

HISTORY AND ARCHITECTURE

  • Louw Wepener statue in front of Wepener City Hall
  • ThabaBosiu Memorial stone at the entrance of the City hall
  • Jammerbergdrif Battlefield site near the Caledon River
  • The sandstone Dutch Reformed Church, in Kerk Street
  • The sandstone street bridge (Jammersberg Bridge) over the Caledon River has been declared a national monument. 

VANSTADENSRUS

The tow’s close proximity to the Egmont and Van Stadensrus dams guarantee continued entertainment. Other places of interest include; * Traditional dancing * Anglo Boer War route * Egmont Dam * Van Stadensrus Dam * Birding

Accommodation

Attractions